A fireplace mantel, when decorated nicely, can be a beautiful centerpiece to a room. However, there is a lot to consider when decorating such a small space. From picking the right objects to incorporate to determining a good arrangement, here are some helpful ideas for decorating a beautiful mantel in your home.
The Group of Accessories
The options for choosing which objects you put on your mantel are numerous and varied. Generally, it’s helpful to pick one or a few of the following:
- Vessels – vases, boxes, or any other types of containers
- Something from nature – a flower, branch, or stones, for example
- Candles – consider also candle holders and candlesticks
- Photos and frames – photos tell a story, while an empty frame can add character to your space
- Something personal – a trinket that carries meaning for you
How to Choose and Arrange Them
With so much to consider when decorating your mantel, it is beneficial to have some guidance. There are so many ways to make it beautiful, so choose the methods that best reflect your personality. Start by considering these approaches:
- Less is more – You don’t have to fill a mantel to make it look fantastic. Consider your use of negative space to avoid leaving your mantel cluttered.
- Reflect the style of the room – Whether you decorate your mantel first or last, the whole room should reflect unity. Consider how the colors and materials of the objects you choose for your mantel match the colors and materials of objects in the rest of the room.
- Analyze the space – Mantels that hit lower on a wall might pair more nicely with taller objects. On the other hand, mantels hitting higher on a wall might be better paired with shorter objects. If you choose to have a larger centerpiece above the mantel (like a mirror or TV), think of how your remaining objects will fit around it.
- Aim for unity – Not only should your mantel objects blend with the rest of the room – they should also blend nicely with each other. Don’t pick too many different accessories to display. Stick with one or two types of accessories and stick with objects in those categories.
- Go with the rule of threes – Objects arranged in groups of three (or any odd number) are more appealing. Your eyes move around more and the brain enjoys it. While you’re at it, consider also the elements of design.
Ultimately, your mantel and the space above it give you a lot of opportunities to make a unique and interesting focal point for your room. Most importantly, make sure it reflects your personality and the space around it. With some inspiration and a little careful thought, you’ll find that decorating a beautiful mantel can be fun and rewarding.
Need help finding unique accessories? Bring a photo of your mantel to our store and we’ll be happy to see if The Garden Boutique has the missing piece to your perfect mantel arrangement.